August 11, 2021
Creating quality content that will drive organic traffic to your website can be a challenge. Many small business owners may be able write decent content, but they often fail at writing content that delivers results in a Search. This is the primary objective of SEO (Search Engine Optimization). You must have quality content that has value and attracts new clients. Search engines, likeGoogle, constantly update their algorithms, so you'll need to keep up with the latest SEO techniques. Read on for tips on quality content writing and SEO.
Choose the right keywords
Keyword research is the fundamental first step in all SEO. Good keywords not only help your site rank higher on search engines, but they also provide the business owner with valuable information. Thinking about all the words your potential customers might search to find your product or service is a good place to start. Each article you write should have one main keyword or keyword phrase, and 5-10 additional keywords that are closely related to your primary keyword.One common mistake by business owners is using technical terms rather than common terms for their products, or services. It’s important to research related keywords, and find ones that are commonly used by your potential customers.
Identify search intent
When someone does a Google search, they have something specific in mind they want to accomplish. Google spends a great deal of time creating algorithms to refine the search process, and fulfill the user's intent. To get the most out of SEO, you need to understand the distinct types of search intent. These include:
- Informational: When a user is searching for information on a topic, they often include words such as, "how to," "best," and “tutorial.”
- Navigational: Sometimes the user is looking for a specific web page or site. They will use words that are the actual name of the business, or product.
- Commercial: When someone is researching a potential purchase they will include search terms such as, "review" or "least expensive."
- Transactional: Users will perform searches when they are ready to make a purchase. These users will enter terms such as, "buy," "coupon," or "price."
Examining the search intent that will drive the most traffic to your site is another essential part of SEO.
Create an optimized meta title
The meta title does not need to be the same as the page title, but both should include your main keyword. Your meta title shows up on the search page, while your H1 page header is on the page itself. This is why the meta title is so important for SEO. Consider the following when creating a optimized meta title:
- Give each page its own unique title.
- Tailor the title to the user's intent.
- Be sure to include your primary keyword.
Create an optimized meta description
The meta description is what users will see directly under the meta title on the search page. Don't make the mistake of leaving this out. A meta description that is optimized for SEO can give you an edge over your competitors.
- Each page on your site should have a unique, accurate, and specific meta description.
- Remember to include your keyword in the meta description.
- Keep it to 140-160 words.
- Include a call to action.
- Your meta description doesn’t need to be in sentence format.
A good meta description can be one of the most important things that users see when conducting a search. It has to be enough to convince the user to visit your website page.
Be creative with your H1 titles
Each page on your site should have exactly one H1 tag. Here are some tips for how to make the best H1 for your article:
- Use a unique H1 for each page on your site.
- Remember to describe the content in your H1.
Your content must be well written and organized
Creating good structure to your articles is essential for quality content and SEO.Articles with H2 and H3 tags perform better in searches. Some ways to ensure your content meets these criteria are:
- Create lengthy content when necessary, and provide an outline at the top of the page for longer articles.
- Use H2 and H3 tags to make your content more readable.
- Keep each paragraph to one main idea and break up long sentences.
- Include a list in your article to generate more search volume and encourage quick reads.
- Bullet points and numbered lists enhance readability and understanding.
- Use a bold fonts, italics, or both to highlight key points.
- Answer the questions users searched for on your topic.
Create a descriptive URL for each page
TheURL of your page can help a user decide whether your article will have the information they are looking for. It is important to create URL's that provide this information in a simple, readable format. When creating URL's, separate the words with hyphens. Use lower case letters and make it as short as possible. Include your main keyword and be sure to describe the page.
Include photos, videos, or other visual content
Readers will remember much more from your article if you include visual content. Adding visual content to your page will not only enhance the article's readability, it will also increase the likelihood of the content being shared on other sites.This creates valuable backlinks to your site. Engaging videos keep a visitor on your site longer, which Google tracks. To optimize your visual content, be sure to:
- Resize and optimize your images so the site loads quickly.
- Give your photos descriptive file names.
- Use visual elements to attract and engage your visitors.
- Create alt text tags that accurately describe your images.
Include internal links
Internal linking is when the pages of your site link to one another. This helps search engines find your content, and also gives credibility to your pages which can improve search engine ranking.
Using these tips will help you optimize your content, and put you on the right path for higher search engine rankings. This is a lot for a small business to take on by themselves. To find out more about our website design services, and seo services contact MY Design Group, located in Orange County, CA. We offer affordable custom website design and SEO to suit any budget.